What type of parenting are you most interested in? See the American Pregnancy Helpline site http://www.thehelpline.org/ for help making this decision. Check in with your Pregnancy Care Center Advisor
who will help you know what types of help you can expect as a parent such as parenting courses, CPR courses, baby products (diapers, blankets, cribs, car seats, etc), assistance with job or schooling concerns, baby sitters, etc.
- Two essentials include a car seat (hospitals require parents to have a car seat for their baby before they can take their child home) and a bassinet or baby-safe crib.
- By law, working mothers are entitled to up to six weeks leave for maternity with out pay. Father are also entitled to some maternity leave.
- Work out a plan with your advisor for daily/weekly/monthly and emergency child care situations.
Lots of Parenting Classes!
If time permits, take parenting classes which will teach you the basics about baby and child care, discipline and family relationships.
Kangaroo Care for Premature Babies
Read about Rachel, born at 24 weeks, and only 20 ounces. She survived because of the skin-to-skin holding by her mom. See the DR MOMMA Web site http://drmomma.blogspot.com/2009/08/mothers-last-skin-to-skin-goodbye-saves.html Dr. Nils Bergman, MD, MPH, originator, speaks about it at
is this Possible?
Moms body continues to regulate
all of the baby's his physiological needs
even after birth!!!!
- Premature babies stabilize faster than in an incubator
- stable oxygen rates and breathing thanks to the
steady regulation of Mother's respiration.
- The heart rate is stable (mother's heartbeat regulates baby's heartbeat).
- The temperature is most stable on the mother - in skin-to-skin care mothers chest automatically warms to warm a cold baby, and mothers core temperature drops if her baby has a temperature.
- Sleeping within an arm's reach of baby (as long as a parent does not smoke) also regulates all of his physiological needs in the same way ~ they are kept steady thanks to Mom's warm, even-paced body.
More info: http://www.kvmr.org/programs/whocares/index.html Dr. Bergman's website, http://www.kangaroomothercare.com When Dr. Bergman introduced Kangaroo Mother Care or skin-to-skin care, in 1995, t his hospital had a low survival rate for infants of low weight. This increased five-fold. He is now looking at what skin-to-skin contact does for well newborns.
Parenting Guidelines for Parents with Young to Older Children
http://playgroup.meetup.com/about/ (Select part of CT via map)
© KAROL-Davide Publications 2007. All Rights Reserved